I want to replicate the kind of interface you see on inboard boats, pumps, or food blenders. Basically, I want put a motor in a sealed vessel, and have it turn a prop outside the vessel, in water.

Is this usually done just with a layer of grease over a bearing? Are there any alternatives?

  • $\begingroup$ The shaft going to the propellor on a boat goes through a bearing or bearings and seals... $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Commented Nov 11, 2019 at 10:01
  • $\begingroup$ I found the name on one of your other answers - essentially I want to build a stuffing box. $\endgroup$
    – Alex
    Commented Nov 11, 2019 at 13:01
  • $\begingroup$ The term you want to search on is "rotating seal" (avoid the pages on dancing marine mammals). A stuffing box is one sort of that larger category. $\endgroup$
    – TimWescott
    Commented Nov 11, 2019 at 16:01
  • $\begingroup$ That's what I was after, thank you $\endgroup$
    – Alex
    Commented Nov 11, 2019 at 17:53

1 Answer 1


The seal you are looking for is commonly called an oil rotary seal ring.

I found many brands and sizes with a quick search.

the range of prices for a 1-inch shaft is around $5.

oil rotary seal


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.