Questions tagged [hss]

Questions dealing with Hollow Structural Sections (HSS), also known as tube steel shapes. These can be round, square, or rectangular.

Filter by
Sorted by
Tagged with
0 votes
0 answers

What is DIN 338 for drill bits?

I'm looking around for drill bits, and I keep reading "DIN 338" everywhere. What is DIN 338? And what does it mean when a retailer or manufacturer writes "DIN 338" on the product ...
Mads Skjern's user avatar
0 votes
1 answer

Ways to stiffen a HSS profile?

I have an issue with a post that’s deflecting a little bit too much. Picture a 10 foot HSS c-channel section, used vertically as a post. Web/flange 4.5 x 1.75 @ 3/16 thick. Clients (friends) insisted ...
cannotcompute's user avatar
0 votes
2 answers

Can I keep hardened steel cool with ice while welding?

I would like to weld a piece of hardened steel but i don't want to ruin the treatment on the tip of the piece. Can i put some ice in the middle of the shaft so the heat generated from the welding (...
Tommaso Lencioni's user avatar
5 votes
1 answer

Effective Throat of Flare-Bevel Weld with Reinforcing Fillet

Occasionally I have to design T-connections between rectangular tube steel (HSS) members where I have a flare-bevel weld between the corner of the tube and the connecting flat member. If the weld ...
grfrazee's user avatar
  • 3,587
6 votes
2 answers

Tube Steel - ASTM A1085 vs. A500

Recently, tube steel manufacturers in the US have begun using the new ASTM A1085 specification for forming tube steel (a.k.a. hollow structural section or HSS) shapes, as opposed to the existing A500 ...
grfrazee's user avatar
  • 3,587