I have translated the part illustrated below into Solidworks but I haven't been able to match the angle of projection used in the illustration.

How can I identify that angle used in the image, so that I can reproduce the figure as closely as possible?

The drawing is from an old book by Thomas French.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Can't you take a given dimension (say 1 9/16), measure what the scaled dimension on the page is and use trigonometry? Also, you are assuming that the original image was draw "correctly". $\endgroup$
    – hazzey
    Commented Mar 8, 2016 at 17:10
  • $\begingroup$ Your illustration looks like an oblique projection. These were often used to simplify the drawing process, before computer graphics. If that is correct, the view does not correspond to any orthographic projection that gives a "realistic" view of the object (even if you ignore perspective). So you won't be able to reproduce "the exact same view" starting from "correct" 3-D geometry with modern CAD software. You could reproduce it by first distorting the geometry, e.g. by applying a shear transformation to the structure. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_projection $\endgroup$
    – alephzero
    Commented Mar 9, 2016 at 16:15
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ For anyone who's interested in pursuing this, I uploaded the model in STEP and STL here: grabcad.com/library/end-plate-2. Also (@Ricardo), is that one measurement 9/6? It's the only improper fraction in the drawing. $\endgroup$
    – jsejcksn
    Commented Jan 16, 2017 at 6:46

1 Answer 1


This is a simple isometric projection The angle is, by the picture 30. enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ Yes but for it to be isometric you would need the other directipns to follow suite... But the other direction sideways is horisontal $\endgroup$
    – joojaa
    Commented Jan 30, 2017 at 14:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.