One of the valves on my 3 bar line just failed. Without it, our production has ground to a stop and we can't operate until we get a replacement (which we have already ordered). In order to make a deadline, I am trying to find a way to use a (properly rated for pressure) DN 16 flanged valve to fit with the existing DN 10 piping.

Is there any way to (safely) connect these two flanges together temporarily?

  • $\begingroup$ Can you find a flanged reducer? We use these all the time in our production plant. They especially are useful for changing the diameter of the line when installing fittings. $\endgroup$
    – tralston
    Jan 21 '15 at 6:07
  • $\begingroup$ @tralston don't have a proper one on hand / can't get one faster than the proper valve. $\endgroup$
    – jmac
    Jan 21 '15 at 6:58
  • $\begingroup$ @jmac if you cannot get a flanged reducer, are you able to connect your system via another pipe with different flanges on each side? $\endgroup$
    – smiddy84
    Jan 21 '15 at 8:12
  • $\begingroup$ Can you just Zeus it on with a weld? $\endgroup$
    – Inthebay
    Jan 27 '15 at 8:06

If you have access to a lathe you should be able to quickly machine a flanged reducer out of Nylon 6. Not sure what temperature you're operating at but make it a bit thick and it will easily be able to handle 3 bar.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.