I have read a specific term to describe the process when water pools behind a restriction such as a bridge during a flood. I cannot for the life of me remember what the word was.

The term specifically refers to the process of the ponding of water upstream of a restriction during a flood creating an area where the water pools higher and velocity is slower. Essentially the flood version of localised water detention due to a outlet restriction.

If anyone could help me out with the exact terminology that would be great. Have been searching all over to no avail.


1 Answer 1


I believe that the phrase that you are looking for is either backwater or headwater.

enter image description here Image from from http://epg.modot.org/index.php?title=748.4_Headwater_and_Backwater


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.