I would like to know what mechanical parts can be used to convert a rotation movement from an axis to another.

For example: You have the shaft of a motor rotating vertically, but you need to rotate a part horizontally.

I already found the worm drive assembly but I would like to know if an "exhaustive" list exists somewhere with pro/con for each.


The go-to solution is bevel gears. They are used when the shafts would intersect and allow the same ratios as normal gears.

You can also make one of the gears a crown gear so the other gear can be a normal spur gear.

A universal joint is also an option if the angle isn't too big.

  • $\begingroup$ Are there existing belt based solutions ? I'm a little bit worried by backlash that could be added by bevel gears. $\endgroup$
    – LiohAu
    Nov 7 '15 at 21:47
  • $\begingroup$ There is backlash in belts too as the tension is transfered to the other side of the belt. But you can use cones as friction gears. $\endgroup$ Nov 7 '15 at 22:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.