I want to replace a cylindrical pulley, so I came across a component called a smooth belt. enter image description here

Now this thing came with many differenent variations, from 2.00" up to 8.00". Since I don't know which one to get, what is this varying parameter? What does this value imply?

Also, the 1/4" refers to the diameter of the cylinder of the plastic, is that correct?

EDIT: The picture here is just a picture I found in an online store. I measured the parameters of mine that I want to replace. The thickness of the plastic is 1.5mm (this means 1/16 of an inch) and the diameter of the circle is 4.5cm.

  • $\begingroup$ If that picture is to scale, I can see that the radius is 8 times the diameter: 2" $\endgroup$
    – david
    Sep 24, 2023 at 7:59

1 Answer 1


Do you have a link to the manufacturer? You are correct about the quarter inch (gauge). If I were to guess the varying value is the length of the belt measured as internal diameter. Also remember force is equal to K*dx, so the more stretch on the belt the larger the force.

  • $\begingroup$ I edited the question with the specific measurements of the one that I am looking for. No, i don't know manufacturer. I just want to find a replacement. $\endgroup$ Sep 25, 2023 at 13:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.