I'm searching for a mechanism to slowly release gravitational energy. I've attached an image of an example scenario where a 10kg weight slowly raises the 1kg weight over a set period of time, for example 1 week.
I'm aware that what I'm looking for is a release mechanism and I'm exploring inspiration from antique clocks but I wanted to ask this question here to see if any intersting alternative suggestions come to mind.
A few key aspects:
- It doesn't have to be very precise. A deviation of a few hours within a week is ok.
- It would preferrably not make any noticable sound.
- The beauty of the simplicity of the mechanism is very important.
- It needs to be easily repeatable. (Lifting the 10kg weight would ideally reset the motion)
- It needs to last a very long time. Ideally 100 years.
What would be the absolute simplest mechanism to perform this task? Where would you suggest to look for inspiration besides clocks? Besides gears are their any alternive mechanisms I that would be interesting to consider such as those using friction or pressure of some sort?
I hope this is the right place to ask this question. If not please direct me to a forum where this might be more approriate. Thank you