What is the technical name for this kind of road segment?

enter image description here

I think the purpose of the lane on the right is to bypass the traffic lights at the intersection.

I've heard that kind of lane referred to as a "sliparound" lane. But I doubt that's the proper term.

Edit: The location is Ontario, Canada.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ a slip around lane in my experience is more for an undivided two lane road where most of the time the the traffic at a turning point tends to go straight. A low turn count will block the lane and cause a long delay for the cars behind. A slip around land is therefore added at this point that allows the following cars to move over a lane at this turning point and continue straight. Here is an example near Kingston, Ontario, Canada $\endgroup$
    – Forward Ed
    Jun 26 at 7:58
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ That name varies by country. $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Jun 26 at 8:31
  • $\begingroup$ @SolarMike Thanks. Edited. The location is Ontario, Canada. $\endgroup$
    – User1974
    Jun 26 at 8:43
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ In Ireland it is a "filter lane". $\endgroup$
    – Transistor
    Jun 26 at 9:04

1 Answer 1


The name is the same as its purpose of service - "Exclusive Right Turn Lane", or "Right Turn Only Lane". Right turn lanes can significantly improve the capacity and level of service of signalized intersections.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ also dedicated right turn lane $\endgroup$
    – jsotola
    Jun 26 at 2:52
  • $\begingroup$ or right turn lane $\endgroup$
    – Forward Ed
    Jun 26 at 7:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.