I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I am wondering about the name for a certain type of room in a building.

I am thinking about the ones where it is basically like a central room, but it is many floors tall of open space, with the different floors being cut off before it, or overhang it slightly.


Like this, many floors tall of open space, but not opened to the sky. Courtyard kinda fits, but ultimately isn't what I mean, as Courtyard is very vague, and also means it is open to the sky. So what is it called when it is like what I am describing? Does it have a name at all?

I hope this explanation is good enough to get the idea across.

Edit: My question has been answered.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ That's called an atrium. $\endgroup$
    – DKNguyen
    Commented Mar 11, 2022 at 3:27
  • $\begingroup$ @DKNguyen Ah, I knew that term. For some reason it didn't come to mind. It was one of those cases where I knew, but couldn't remember. Thanks DKNguyen. $\endgroup$
    – Zoey
    Commented Mar 11, 2022 at 4:04


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.