We have a bit of wall sticking out of a flat wall

__________|    |_______________

I have always called it the sticky outy bit of the wall and everyone knew what I meant. My boss told me I need to find out the proper name for a bit of wall that sticks out because it is a point of reference in a document. I can't keep on calling it the sticky-outy bit that I've called it for the last 3 years.

I've been looking at https://www.house-design-coffee.com/architectural-dictionary.html. There is the word architrave but it is for a horizontal section below the roof.

There is also pilaster but all the examples I've seen have fancy decorations on it. A sort of fake column. Can it be called a pilaster if there are no decorations?

The other alternative is protrusion - can this be used for something that sticks out from ceiling to floor or just a bit of wall.


To answer @Fred's query - it is about 1ft (30cm wide) and about 4" (10cm) deep. It stretches from ceiling to floor. I've got no idea what it is for. Sorry, I cannot supply a photograph - it is in one of those restricted areas where cameras aren't allowed.

  • $\begingroup$ Pillar or buttress come to mind. $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Aug 2, 2021 at 14:31
  • $\begingroup$ you could call it a rib $\endgroup$
    – jsotola
    Aug 2, 2021 at 15:35
  • $\begingroup$ Some questions. Is it on an internal or external wall? What are the dimensions? What is it being used for, or what can it be used for? Could you add a photograph of it? $\endgroup$
    – Fred
    Aug 2, 2021 at 16:30
  • $\begingroup$ Support beam protrusion. $\endgroup$ Aug 2, 2021 at 18:29
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ A rectangular protruberance =D $\endgroup$
    – Pete W
    Aug 2, 2021 at 19:05

1 Answer 1


If both the wall and the bump-out are made of masonry/bricks, it is usually called a pilaster, which was built integrally with the wall.

If the bump-out is concrete, it is called a column.

Both have structural significance in carrying gravity loads and resisting lateral loads.

However, if it is made of drywall material, then it is usually a decorative column, or to hide the steel column behind.

Note, you can check whether there is a horizontal beam, at the upper end, lays perpendicular to the bump-out to determine if this is a structural column, or decorative protrusion.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Bump-out is the first thing that came to mind as an all-encompassing term. Other terms are related to purpose, which we don't know. $\endgroup$
    – Phil Sweet
    Aug 2, 2021 at 21:15
  • $\begingroup$ I had a look a pictures of pilasters. Finally found one that does not have any decoration which looks like my sticky outy bit. $\endgroup$
    – cup
    Aug 2, 2021 at 21:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.