I am trying to find out how I can get yogurt or sour cream in an eco friendly way. I know the films on the supermarket plastic pots are currently not recycled, so that's not great... If I start a yogurt refilling service (i.e. like a milk man), what would some things I need to consider be?
I am thinking:
- Refill or Plastic single use - Carbon footprint Vs recyclability
- food safety - do I really need fancy machines to make it 'safe' to eat - what area of science will help me find out what yogurt is safe
- Is it better to heat up small portions of milk (DIY home business) or keep the process they currently use (I don't know what it is) to make yogurt/cream?
- what system would be best to allow customers to get yogurt
- what materials would be best for containing the yogurt (for a refillable container)
- how did they use to eat/make yogurt in the past
- are there any existing services like this
(You can comment anything - ideas, incomplete answers, I just need some info)
For the system of getting it to customers, I don't care how unusual it might be. I thought of just serving them every morning, or them bringing own containers and me pouring it out.
Any other resources you would suggest?