I am currently working on a submarine that has a flat face at one end made of 1/2" acrylic. Currently, there is a 12mm glass sensor that protrudes through a hole in the acrylic face and I am looking for a way to seal the hole to withstand around 200 psi, however finding a way to seal the face with o-rings has been incredibly challenging, along with finding a seal that wide. I have explored rubber grommets, cable glands, and potentially making a custom mount for the seal and was wondering if there are any instruments that would accomplish my goal. Thank you!

  • $\begingroup$ I was going to suggest cable glands. Why did they not work? Is the sensor cylindrical surface smooth? $\endgroup$
    – Transistor
    Jul 8 at 19:13
  • $\begingroup$ I actually have just decided to go with a cable gland I found from Digikey. I was having the frustrating challenge of finding a cable gland from various manufacturers where they didn't state the pressure rating. However, all of the ones on Digikey have excellent documentation. Thank you! $\endgroup$
    – Eli
    Jul 8 at 19:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.