Does the field of Tribology include the study of adhesives in addition to the study of lubricants?


1 Answer 1


No, it does not.

I do not think that adhesive science people have managed to come up with a fancy name like the lubrication folks.

  • $\begingroup$ I was thinking tribology was a generalized study of the physical interaction of material surfaces. It seems like a very narrow specialization. $\endgroup$
    – user148298
    May 10, 2021 at 5:12
  • $\begingroup$ It is only the study of wear between bodies. $\endgroup$
    – jko
    May 10, 2021 at 12:05
  • $\begingroup$ FYI, and in case you did not know already, the first part of the name tribo is a derivate of the greek word for friction or generally the act of rubbing something against something else. $\endgroup$
    – Ma0
    May 10, 2021 at 15:00
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ As long as we're mangling greek stems, I suggest "kratology" based on similar principles as the "tribiology". $\endgroup$ May 10, 2021 at 18:47
  • $\begingroup$ @MadPhysicist I know what tribology is, but tribiology? $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    May 10, 2021 at 21:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.