I am trying to assess the Power output of a Pumped Hydro project based on this website. I have all the required inputs except the flow rate (m3/s).
However, this is where I think I'm getting confused,
- When I looked up how to calculate the flow rate (here), I need to first know the water velocity,
- When I looked up how to calculate the water velocity (here), I first need to know the flow rate
How would I go about calculating this, when both are unknowns?
What I do know is
- Pipeline Diameter (762 mm)
- Pipeline length (38,000 m)
- Pipeline hydraulic head / drop (176 m)
- Pipeline Roughness (concrete lined, operating 0.3mm)
- Upper Reservoir volume (78.8m m3)
- Water density (1000 kg/m3)
- Gravity (9.81 m/s^2)
is that sufficient information to be able to calculate either water velocity or flow rate?
This question has been asked before (here) but it previously went unanswered.