In the realm of structural engineering, construction, foundation design, what is "crs" when talking about piles/posts? Is it an abbreviation? Does it refer to some sort of size?

Some examples:

enter image description here

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


"CRS" is an abreviation for "Centers".

So, for example the statement "Deck Joist @ 400mm crs" means "at 400mm centers", i.e. that the centreline of the joists should be 400mm apart.

If you were to measure the gap between the joists, it would be less than 400mm, due to the thickness of the joist itself.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Also, I have usually seen "centers" abbreviated to "cts". I wonder if this abbreviation is a regional thing? $\endgroup$
    – hazzey
    Apr 1, 2021 at 12:55
  • $\begingroup$ @hazzey Could be due to "centres" vs "centers" spelling (in New Zealand). $\endgroup$
    – Greendrake
    Apr 1, 2021 at 15:54

Does not apply to this example, but just for completeness: I've also seen CRS as an abbreviation for cold-rolled steel in a material callout in machine drawings, e.g. "1018 CRS".


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.