On espresso machines, there is some kind of pipe joint which allows the steam wand to move while maintaining its seal. What is this component called?

  • $\begingroup$ There may be different joints in use. Do you have a service or repair manual? Do you have a picture? $\endgroup$
    – mart
    Feb 3, 2015 at 12:15

1 Answer 1


It is called a "steam wand gasket". Technically, it's a ball-and-socket joint made out of two concave PTFE (Teflon) gaskets and an EDPM gasket for the seal.

There may be other designs too; I learned this by watching Saeco StarBucks Barista - How to Replace Steam Wand Seals and Gasket (YouTube video).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.