The following is a picture of a locking pin for a tubular hinge which specifies Maritime use. I assume it has something to do with railings but I'm thinking of fabricating my own similar hinges. "Locking pin" seems awfully vague. I know I've seen this before; the little nub at the end is spring loaded and presses into the pin

enter image description here

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Go to an agricultural machinery supplier - they have many... $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Commented Mar 25, 2021 at 14:09
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ a retaining pin, generally. "ring pin", or "ring pin with detent" should get good search results $\endgroup$
    – Pete W
    Commented Mar 25, 2021 at 14:26
  • $\begingroup$ This is also sometimes colloquially called a cotter pin, hitch pin, clevis pin or even pivot pin. But I kind of doubt you'll find it on a parts list under those names. $\endgroup$ Commented Mar 25, 2021 at 23:13
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ A cotter pin is made from bent wire, that's pretty distinct IMO $\endgroup$
    – Pete W
    Commented Mar 26, 2021 at 3:54
  • $\begingroup$ The answer by @jko got it specifically -- one other name commonly used for this and similar shapes is a "pip pin" $\endgroup$
    – Tristan
    Commented Mar 26, 2021 at 16:27

1 Answer 1


That is a ring-grip quick-release pin, sometimes referred to as clevis pins. McMaster link

  • $\begingroup$ Yes! That's what I was looking for. Even a Google reverse photo search didn't find an answer. $\endgroup$
    – Walter
    Commented Mar 25, 2021 at 22:50
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ McMaster >>> Google $\endgroup$
    – jko
    Commented Mar 26, 2021 at 11:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.