I've tried to search for the name of the connecting mechanisms on these clips but I can't find it. I'm trying to build something where two parts are connected on one axis (diameter less than 5 mm) but each moves independently. So I need a connecting mechanism which doesn't let them come apart but which is also small enough to fit in that hole. What are some mechanisms that would allow this?

  • $\begingroup$ On the left it looks like some kind of rivet stud (?) - functioning as a pin as per NMech's answer. Not sure what the one on the right is, the "pin" part may be a shoulder rivet $\endgroup$
    – Pete W
    Mar 4 at 13:44

IMHO, they are both variations of the pin joint or [revolute joints] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolute_joint) or pivot joints.

enter image description here

It comes in many types and flavours that is difficult to keep track of. enter image description here

enter image description here


Regarding how you stop the pin to fall out over time there are many ways. Interference fit or other types of frictional connections are not an option if you are after a freely rotating joint. Usually you will implement one of the following (not exhaustive)

  • some type of safety pin or split pin

enter image description here

  • using rivets

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ How do you stop the pin from sliding out over time? Do you use an interference fit (not sure of the English name) or is there a different mechanism for that? And what if it isn't like in the pic where one part is sandwiched between two others, but rather it's just two surfaces (single shear junction)? $\endgroup$
    – Suryetto
    Mar 4 at 12:55
  • $\begingroup$ In your example, the pin is deformed after insertion to 'mushroom' a little, stopping it falling out $\endgroup$ Mar 4 at 13:34
  • $\begingroup$ @JonathanRSwift I am not sure if your comment, was addressed to Suryetto or me. Being an english speaker and more experienced in design you probably a lot better than me to reply to this question. Functionally, to me its just a pin joint, but there is very likely some jargon for this that you might be able to provide. $\endgroup$
    – NMech
    Mar 4 at 14:51
  • $\begingroup$ I was replying to @Suryetto, talking about the pin in his photo $\endgroup$ Mar 4 at 15:30
  • $\begingroup$ Interference fit might work if its a clevis and the interference fit is in the fork side leaving the middle bar to be free. Also you need to put a shim that you removebetween when you rivet to keep a clearance so that objects can move after the rivetting. $\endgroup$
    – joojaa
    Mar 4 at 15:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.