So basically, I am doing a project to design a measurement tool for measuring the different layers of the quartz crucible used in the semiconductor industry. Since the crucibles undergo some deformation through the fabrication process, I was thinking if there is any technology that makes use of the degree of strain to measure the crucible layers. Could UV rays be used for the measurement with a small fragment of the deformed crucible?

  • $\begingroup$ Polariscope and photoelasticity are two words you should a thorough search on. $\endgroup$ – Solar Mike Jan 27 at 21:04
  • $\begingroup$ @SolarMike Thanks, I've searched the terms, but the technology only allows the determination of strain, not the measurement of the thickness of the crucible. Thanks nonetheless for the help! $\endgroup$ – loveengineering Feb 5 at 8:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.