When we send some drawings to laser cut operation, they use a proprietary software (usually specific to the laser machine) to duplicate the drawings per request, with the spaces between parts optimized. It's a bit like "panelizing" operation in PCB manufacturing.

What is the name of this optimized assembly operation? (How can we find a proper software to make it by ourselves?)


1 Answer 1


The operation is called usually nesting. It is used for almost any type of cutting shapes out of sheets of metal.

One piece of software I used, free (at least at the time) and with very good results (i.e. low slack material) was deepnest.

There should be other though. A quick search yielded this page with :

  • TruNest
  • ProNest 2019
  • SVGnest
  • SigmaNEST
  • MyNesting
  • $\begingroup$ Seeing how Trumpf calls most of their machines "Tru"-something, they were probably pretty bummed to see Autodesk register "TruNest" :D $\endgroup$ Nov 24, 2020 at 21:35
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Wow deepnest looks incredible +1 $\endgroup$ Nov 24, 2020 at 22:59
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @OpticalResonator so that is to say they were a bit slow off the mark in registering the name. Happened to others before. $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Nov 25, 2020 at 4:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.