I have the stovetop element shown in the image below. If you look at the coils, they're fixed down by what look like little staples. I'm wondering what material those staples might be. The surface they're stapled into is a bit spongey, so I assume it (the surface) is an insulator, and that therefore it doesn't really matter what material the 'staples' are.

enter image description hereenter image description here

Element is from a Whirlpool stovetop. Image from this link at repairclinic.com

  • $\begingroup$ Please embed the image in your post (giving credit to the owner) so that readers don't have to follow links to understand your question and so that it still makes sense if the link dies. $\endgroup$
    – Transistor
    Oct 27 '20 at 19:45
  • $\begingroup$ @Transistor Thanks for letting me know. I've updated the question. $\endgroup$
    – gkeenley
    Oct 27 '20 at 19:56

I expect the same material as the coils would be the easiest answer ; nichrome ,Inconel ( 600, 601 or other number) , chromel. There are small differences but any one you can find would be good. That would also be practical as it would be readily available to the manufacturer. Stainless like 304 will probably work but I am uncertain of the many cycles into a 1400 F ( approximately ) temperature.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.