I'm aware that when calculating the power necessary to move a wheeled vehicle I should consider the rolling resistance, gradient resistance, air resistance and if it's a stopped vehicle the acceleration resistance, but what changes when dealing with tracked vehicles (see beloc)?

enter image description here

If I'm not wrong the equation for wheeled vehicles goes like this (not taking into account a resting body accelerating): $$ P = (c_r.m.a_g + m.a_g.sin(\alpha) + \frac{c_d.\rho.v^2.A}{2}).v $$

where: $c_r$ is the rolling coefficient; $m$ is the mass of the body; $a_g$ is the acceleration of gravity; $sin(\alpha)$ is the inclination; $c_d$ is the drag coefficient; $\rho$ is the density of the fluid; $v$ is the vehicles velocity; $A$ is the frontal area of the vehicle. (The friction coefficient of the gradient equation is omitted as the body has wheels so the rolling coefficient is taken into account)

  • $\begingroup$ Mass of the track? There are books about track technology. $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Commented Oct 3, 2020 at 22:45
  • $\begingroup$ Well, book recommendatins are always welcome, since I don't have a clue about this subject. $\endgroup$ Commented Oct 3, 2020 at 22:51
  • $\begingroup$ Don’t have a specific one to hand but now you can find one... $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Commented Oct 3, 2020 at 22:53

1 Answer 1


As many as you want.

Look into NATO mobility model.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.