I am looking for some device that can be used for blocking a sheet of glass or other materials in position. On one side of the glass (blue sheet in the diagram) is applied a force if the force is above a certian value the upper block is released and the glass is free to move upward.

enter image description here

I am looking for a kind of force limiting relief device but I can't find anything already on the market? Am I missing something? Is there any conventional name for such devices?


Hold the top block in place with a spring loaded ball mechanism.

Check out cupboard latches or spring loaded latches as an example.

Also known as ball and detent...

  • $\begingroup$ Seems a good starting point but is there anything I can use to regulate the pressure? $\endgroup$
    – G M
    Oct 2 '20 at 11:37
  • $\begingroup$ Yes, the depth of the detent and the strength of the spring. $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Oct 2 '20 at 11:38
  • $\begingroup$ Ok, thanks I was looking for something I could regulate for different pieces but it is a good starting point. The main drawback is that I need to perform a dent on the glass. $\endgroup$
    – G M
    Oct 2 '20 at 11:41
  • $\begingroup$ Why not between the top support and its frame? $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Oct 2 '20 at 11:44
  • $\begingroup$ You are right that make sense I was not thinking them as two separate entities but I could do something like that. $\endgroup$
    – G M
    Oct 2 '20 at 11:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.