I have a copper flange and I want to weld it to a nickel alloy pipe.

Normally, which welding technique is used to join these two parts?

Also what is the filler material to be used to weld a copper part with a nickel alloy part?

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Sounds like brazing will be the technique required. $\endgroup$ – Solar Mike Jul 7 at 8:30
  • $\begingroup$ What do you mean by nickel alloy? Monel, cupronickel? As commented, sounds more like a job for brazing. $\endgroup$ – blacksmith37 Jul 7 at 14:51
  • $\begingroup$ I think a materials engineer would be using nickel aluminum bronze or aluminum bronze for the flange depending on the fluid and the type of nickel alloy. $\endgroup$ – blacksmith37 Jul 7 at 20:10
  • $\begingroup$ I agree with Mike that brazing is the way to go. I think it's possible with some exotic flux. $\endgroup$ – Drew Jul 7 at 20:52
  • $\begingroup$ Is this going to be helium tight? $\endgroup$ – D Duck Jul 8 at 13:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.