I know this might not be the most ideal place to ask this question, but I couldn't think of any place better.

I recently purchased a high vacuum chamber setup and have been disassembling it for transport. I removed the hot cathode ion gauge, and then on further inspection, I realized it used an unfamiliar mounting flange. It is a gendered connection. Does anyone know what type it is?

male flange with brass? gasket

same side

I was weary of trying to remove what looks like a brass gasket. It's pretty thin.

female end - no CF style knife edge

same side as above

No Conflat style knife edges, but the edge on the first step is fairly sharp, and might ramp upwards (hard to tell)


  • $\begingroup$ I understand there was only the brass gasket? Can you add dimensions, diameters etc? $\endgroup$
    – mart
    May 4 '20 at 19:34
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @mart There was nothing else, unless I dropped it (pretty sure I didn't). That doesn't mean there wasn't supposed to be something else there. After all, when I removed the turbopump that had a CF flange, someone double stacked copper gaskets, so who knows what else they did/didn't do.. Using a tape measure, on the female side I got 2" OD, then 1 3/8, then 1 1/4 for the ID of the small ledge and finally 1", and didn't bother with the welded bit. The male end had essentially identical dimensions. It's fairly tight, but I wouldn't call it an interference fit. $\endgroup$
    – mes
    May 4 '20 at 20:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.