I am building a soapbox (go kart) and I am planing on what materials I could use for the frame and the chassis. I have thought about using bamboo or steel.
Steel is normally the go to material when building the chassis and frame. However, I am starting to think bamboo may be a better choice. My reasoning is that:
- Bamboo is less dense than steel, this makes the structure lighter and could enable it to go faster.
- It is cheaper than steel. This leaves room for prototyping and allows me to iterate my way to perfection.
- More flexible than steel this could be good as the go kart will jump over bumps and slides.
- No welding would be needed.
- Depending on the type of steel used, bamboo can have a higher tensile strength than steel.
- More eco-friendly.
Also, it is possible to make a bamboo composite that produces a stronger bamboo based material.
Could you let me know your thoughts on what I should use: steel, bamboo or something else?