In the emergency case that more than one person must share a mechanical ventilator, the medical professionals lose per-patient monitoring of pressure and airflow.
To that end, what are the simplest available methods for measuring pressure and airflow in a 22 mm diameter pipe? Both without electronic interface, and with.
- Aprrox pressure range: 0-100 cmH20
- Approx airflow range: 0 - 100 litres per min
- Roughly based on uk gov spec
My ideas so far:
- Pressure: basic manometer (literally cm height of water).
- Airflow: A spring mounted, hinged flag with tab protruding into the airflow.
Elec (for interface to ADC/microcontroller/computer):
- Pressure: Piezoresistive Silicon Pressure Sensor
- Airflow: Paddle wheel meter
What are the most important trade-offs to think about in selection of air pressure and air flow sensors?
Is there any sensor type that is the obvious best choice?