I need to identify the seal/gasket shown below so I can order a replacement. I can measure the OD, ID and Height, but I'm not sure what to call it to narrow down my search.

What type of seal is this? What are the parameters I should be searching for?

I don't need an exact match, but something close, as the use is very low-pressure.

It is used in a food-safe context with 100C water at near atmospheric pressure. There is no lubrication and is meant to be washed with food-safe detergents.

The seal has a flat side on the "bottom" that sits against a screw cap. The "top" side of the seal has two small lips that create the seal when the cap is screwed on. The inner diameter is flat and meets the bottom profile at a right angle.

The seal does not sit in a groove or channel in the cap, but just stretches around the OD of the threads and sits on a flat surface.

The seal has an OD of 63mm, an ID of 59mm and a height of 2mm. --These are my best attempt at measuring this as I am unsure how to properly measure a seal like this.

EDIT: Add OD, ID, Height

Top side Interface side - two lips Lip Profile of Top Side Profile of interface side Bottom Side Bottom side Inner Diameter face Inner Diameter

  • $\begingroup$ henniggasket.com/food-grade-gaskets suggest writing them an email with the name of the device you pulled it from...I'm sure they know what it is.Looks an awful lot like a pressure cooker ring gasket however. $\endgroup$ Mar 1, 2020 at 23:44
  • $\begingroup$ I have heard / seen that called a U seal - due to the section... $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Mar 2, 2020 at 8:18
  • $\begingroup$ @SolarMike Thanks for the tip - McMaster-Carr has an info section on u-cup seals. I think I might be on the right track, but these look a little too industrial: mcmaster.com/u-cup-seals -- What do you think? I $\endgroup$ Mar 2, 2020 at 8:45
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ It looks somewhat similar to something on brewing equipment (except it is smaller). Have you just tried searching by the equipment followed by the word gasket or seal? For example "fermenter gasket"? $\endgroup$
    – Abel
    Mar 27, 2021 at 18:07

1 Answer 1


Looks like a shaft seal or oil shield (which can be used for fluids besides oil, water/steam in your case).

  • $\begingroup$ I keep ending up on those when I look on McMaster-Carr. Wasn't sure if was barking up the wrong tree. This fits around a cap and then screws onto a cylinder with a thin edge. The double lip appears to make a seal both inside and outside. Does that help at all? $\endgroup$ Mar 2, 2020 at 14:35
  • $\begingroup$ Do you have a picture or schematic of the application? $\endgroup$
    – jko
    Mar 2, 2020 at 15:51
  • $\begingroup$ Sadly, I do not. I only have the lid and the vacuum cylinder it screws into. $\endgroup$ Mar 2, 2020 at 15:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.