Complete hobbyist here. I have two questions I have a problem figuring out. I have hard time finding information about axis and types of connections they have. For example take this worm gear reducer:

enter image description here

It has axis connection with small extrusion on one side, where motors usually have shaft with one flat side. I found this adapter :

enter image description here

on the site it's called Axle sleeve but I haven't found this part by this name elsewhere, so maybe there is another more precise term?

Is there a beginner friendly resource I can study to get more familiar with this system? What both types of connections are called etc.

  • $\begingroup$ Your misconception is that "motors usually have a shaft with one flat side". This is not the case. Motors of the size designed for use with a gearbox like that usually have a plain shaft that can be post-machined, or with a slot. Shafts with flats are typically used on smaller, lighter duty motors. $\endgroup$ – Jonathan R Swift Feb 26 at 13:10
  • $\begingroup$ OK, thank you. Could you tell me the name of this connection? $\endgroup$ – somerandomusername Feb 26 at 14:00
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ You’re looking at a Keyway - the shaft needs to have a Key. There are several types of Key with different benefits en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_(engineering) $\endgroup$ – Jonathan R Swift Feb 26 at 19:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.