I have machined parts that are made of aluminum and anodized black. The reason that I chose aluminum is because:
- It can easily be machined and is low cost and is common, so easy to buy
- It is light weight compared to steel
- It can take heat
- It is easy to finish with oxidation
The parts are used on a CNC machine so being lightweight is important so that the machine can move faster.
But, I need my part to be significantly lighter weight, so would like to switch materials, but not pay a lot to get a prototype made.
- Is there another metal that is a good substitute?
- Can a plastic laminate be used? For example, plastic parts that I can get machined then add a high temperature tape to reflect heat?