Recently, I have bought this product. It is basically a USB cable, with a magnetic end, and a tiny attachment that goes into the mobile device.
I plugged it into my laptop cooling stand (which has USB hub), and then plugged the tiny "adapter" into my phone. The magnetic end of the cable was free, and it stuck onto the metal leg of my work table.
It caused short circuit and burnt the fan. I only realized this after I plugged it into my laptop, and the same thing caused the laptop to restart immediately.
Here is a photo of the gadget.
What is the reason behind this? The leg of my table is not connected to my computer, obviously. So, how come this USB cable was able to burn my fan, and restart my laptop?