Typically the word "journal" refers to a collection of written records, experiences, or transactions. However, there is a common type of bearing known as a sleeve bearing, radial bearing, or journal bearing.

The terms "sleeve" or "radial" are self-explanatory, but I'm interested in knowing more about the use of the term "journal" for this type of bearing. What is the historical (or mechanical) reason for this naming convention?

  • $\begingroup$ Words can have multiple meanings and engineering words and terms even more so. $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Dec 1 '19 at 18:33
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Take a look here, someone else already asked it: english.stackexchange.com/questions/173387/… $\endgroup$ Dec 1 '19 at 18:37
  • $\begingroup$ @SamFarjamirad Interesting! That's the kind of insight I was hoping for. $\endgroup$
    – Matt P
    Dec 1 '19 at 18:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.