Maybe something cool actually exists. Something clever. I was actually thinking of an hydraulic ram but im not sure it's a good idea. Another thing i saw was a one-way check valve. Would this work?

  • $\begingroup$ “Doesn’t need a battery or power” - it takes energy to move mass, sorry. What inputs are available? Human effort? $\endgroup$ Oct 24, 2019 at 12:54
  • $\begingroup$ How much water & how often, how big is the boat, what type of boat? Why not solar panels? Or a wind generator on top of the mast (assuming a sail boat)? $\endgroup$
    – TimWescott
    Oct 24, 2019 at 14:49

1 Answer 1


You can buy a mechanical pump that you work by hand for this purpose. It has a cylinder with a piston inside, a suction hose, and a discharge hose. You dip the suction hose into the bilge water, aim the discharge hose overboard, and push the handle on the piston back and forth like a bicycle pump. This is called a manual bilge pump.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.