My apologies for a likely very simple question. But what is this nut which I have on a micrometer head called, and what is the tool for removing it called?


  • $\begingroup$ Hmm... the Starrett 261L includes a parts list, and nothing sticks out as having a special name. A "wrench" is mentioned, but couldn't pull up much about it. $\endgroup$
    – rdtsc
    Commented Jun 8, 2015 at 21:34
  • $\begingroup$ "Round nut" is the best name I can figure out. Google Images search gives some similar results with that. $\endgroup$
    – jpa
    Commented Jun 10, 2015 at 9:20

1 Answer 1


Short Answer

The nut on it is called a slotted lock nut or locking bearing nut. You can remove it with a hook spanner.

Long Answer

I guess your micrometer is Japanese and thus probably doesn't conform DIN standards but for slotted lock nuts you can check DIN 981 or DIN 1804 and for hook spanner you can check DIN 1810

Why use Lock Nut

The main reason is screw loosening. With time all screws get loose (no pun intended) and on a device such as micrometer that loose fit will cause errors. That nut, locks bearing into place. Below is a similar Lock Nut for bearings from Misumi USA, you can check datasheet here Hard Locking Bearing Nut Misumi USA

Information about lock nuts and hook spanners from SKF but I don't have enough rep to post more links.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Welcome to E.SE. Thanks for joining in, that's a wonderful first post and a great answer. I look forward to seeing more from you. $\endgroup$
    – jhabbott
    Commented Jun 16, 2015 at 11:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.