It is like a cam that has an off-center hole, and it rotates in its fixture with a knob to lock it in place. The purpose is that you can loosen the knob and rotate the piece to slightly raise and lower the shaft that is connected on the other end.

Does this have a name? Is it a commonly-available part or is it something that has to be custom machined?

This is for a printing press, used to adjust the vertical position of the impression cylinder a couple thousandths of an inch.


  • 5
    $\begingroup$ it's hard to tell from the picture, but I'd call it an 'eccentric cam' or simply 'eccentric'. You might need to machine something custom to fit your particular application, but these parts are pretty simple and can often be made with ordinary manual machining techniques. $\endgroup$
    – Dan
    May 31, 2015 at 19:36

1 Answer 1


It is called a trunnion adjustment.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Do you have a reference for that? It's not that I don't trust you, it just might help. $\endgroup$
    – hazzey
    Jun 5, 2015 at 21:54
  • $\begingroup$ @hazzey No, I just happen to know what it is. $\endgroup$ Jun 5, 2015 at 23:31
  • $\begingroup$ That describes what it's doing, not the mechanism for doing it. $\endgroup$ Jun 6, 2015 at 21:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.