I'm studying the design and construction of viewports for vacuum systems. Usually, the window is bonded to a welding ring, which is then welded to a stainless flange. (See the cross section below for an example.) I have encountered several synonyms that seem to be used interchangeably: adapter, sleeve, and stub. I'm looking for the proper name for this component so that I know what to ask for when contacting potential vendors, because I'm having a hard time finding these items in catalogs.


The red boxes indicate the welding ring; (source)

  • $\begingroup$ It was a struggle, but you appear to want a zero length weld spinning. I have no idea if this is just one manufacturer's term for it, or if it is a standard term. $\endgroup$ – Phil Sweet Aug 21 '19 at 3:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.