I want to buy a "Swiss File #4".

I visited some local stores but noone knew what that was.

I found this nice set of files. Can someone read what it says in the top? Is some of these file equivalent to "Swiss File #4"?

If yes, i will buy this instead.

enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ Another bumped question to hang around forever.... $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Aug 24, 2019 at 18:21

1 Answer 1


In the US, the wording you are looking for is "Needle File Cut 4", I believe.

Amazon search: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=needle+file+cut+4&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

A Diamond file is not the same, having industrial diamond particles embedded into the surface, rather than teeth cut into the steel.


It is possible that the files in your photo would work well for your application, but they are not equivalent to a Swiss #4.

  • $\begingroup$ Thank you! I searched for Nicholson files but they are not labelled "Cut 4". Instead it says (4"-6"-8"-10"-12"). The 4" is equivalent to Cut 4? Sorry for this question, i am not a US resident. $\endgroup$ Jul 25, 2019 at 15:53
  • $\begingroup$ No, that's not the same. The Double Prime means "Inches", so this will refer to the length of the file, most likely. N.B. The Swiss grading system goes from #00 (coarse) up to #6 (very fine), so anything larger than 6 is not a grade $\endgroup$ Jul 25, 2019 at 16:12
  • $\begingroup$ What country are you based in, and why are you looking for a Swiss #4 specifically? $\endgroup$ Jul 25, 2019 at 16:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.