Newbie question, moderately educated on RF but only the signal, not at all about the hardware. Looking to start experimenting on a concept that would require a dynamic shift over time from one frequency to another between the transmitter and receiver. When a part is listed as, for example, a 443Mhz transmitter, is that typically the only frequency it can output at? If so, what key word would I search for on a part site to find a dynamic frequency transmitter?

I tried searching "dynamic frequency transmitter" on distributor sites such as Mouser Electronics with no apparent luck in the results.

  • $\begingroup$ Do you mean a transmitter that can smoothly slide it's carrier frequency from frequency A to frequency B over time? I'm not sure that I know of a name for such a thing, but while it has nothing to do with the name of the beast, the phrase "regulatory hurdle" does come to mind. $\endgroup$
    – TimWescott
    Jul 24, 2019 at 19:15
  • $\begingroup$ @TimWescott yeah, smoothly $\endgroup$
    – J.Todd
    Jul 24, 2019 at 23:48
  • $\begingroup$ No it is not common, AFAIK. Yes, it could be done, although you may need to do it yourself. Chances are a software-defined radio could be smoothly tuned in the manner you describe -- although it's even-steven that someone may have done something to cause it to hiccough every time you change frequency. $\endgroup$
    – TimWescott
    Jul 25, 2019 at 0:03


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.