I am in the process of designing a chiller test rig, of which a very simplified diagram would be (the quick coupling might just be replaced by a non-return valve):

enter image description here

I am struggling to find the type of valve I need where the "??" is. The purpose of this valve is to create some load on the chiller and simulate having a real system connected to it. In other words, I (think I) want some resistance (flow restriction/increased pressure?) at that point in the circuit. Can you advise what kind of valve I would need for this (something manual ideally, not electrically actuated).

The fluid is a mix of ethylene glycol and water at 0°C. The chiller is set up to run at ~25psi at the outlet and the liquid flow rate is ~6 l/min.

  • $\begingroup$ A needle valve? $\endgroup$ – Solar Mike Jun 27 '19 at 16:34
  • $\begingroup$ Many plumbing suppliers have pressure regulator valves, here is one. grainger.com/… $\endgroup$ – kamran Jun 27 '19 at 18:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.