I have a basement which floods, the water comes through a drain in the floor. I am therefore looking to use an HFT Pipestoppers to stop the water coming in

I think the water comes from an old tank (B) (which I can't find).

Does anyone know what pressure I would expect in the pipe to the basement (x) and advise if this is a good option.



The pressure will be:

$$P = \text{density} \times \text{gravity} \times \text{height}$$

Density is 1000 kg/m3, and gravity is 9.81 m/s2

But your problem is defining the height above the measuring point as you say you don’t know where the tank is.

  • $\begingroup$ I could guess the bottom of the basement to the top of the tank would be 2.5m max $\endgroup$ – peter byrne Jun 18 '19 at 14:58
  • $\begingroup$ Then plug the numbers in, h is in meters and pressure in Pascals $\endgroup$ – Solar Mike Jun 18 '19 at 15:00
  • $\begingroup$ thanks Solar,Looks like the pressure would be 0.2 bar and those plugs are good to 2 bar $\endgroup$ – peter byrne Jun 18 '19 at 15:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.