Please bear with me - I'm not an engineer, I'm a software developer so lack the language / knowledge to describe what I want precisely.

I'm controlling a servo to rotate /pan a platform to hold a camera (think pan/tilt). This is fine.

However, I'd like to house the servo/electronics in a waterproof box, and have a platform on top of the box that Pans.

How can I transfer the rotation through a waterproof enclosure? Is there such a thing as a waterproof bearing, that the servo can rotate one side within the enclosure, and have the rotation exposed on the outside, so I can attach the Panning platform to it?

Does such a thing exist? If so, what is it called?

If not, surely this is a problems that has already been solved Can anyone direct me to a solution for this?

Thank you!

  • $\begingroup$ Look for the cameras in the streets or on motorways... $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Dec 16 '18 at 9:51
  • $\begingroup$ I understand how the mechanism works, I need a name for it so I can research it. Something something bulkhead transfer something maybe? $\endgroup$
    – Jack
    Dec 16 '18 at 10:01
  • $\begingroup$ Surely just an O ring around the rotating shaft would solve this? It’s not really a device that solves the problem - there would simply be a groove in the housing that the O ring sits in before the shaft is posted through? $\endgroup$ Dec 16 '18 at 16:04

I needed a "shaft gland" / "gland seal" used in boats (and for my application, radio controlled boats" to solve the problem.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.