I'm trying to identify the pictured fastener. It's a single piece around the arm of a gas spring, allowing it to pivot. I've had to replace the spring, but the screw is size M8 while the eyelet on the spring arm, is only big enough for an M6. Is there another way to achieve the same function?

Any assistance would be much appreciated

mystery fastener

  • $\begingroup$ For keywords try carriage bolt and threaded spacer or threaded standoff. Most standoffs will have a different outside shape, but that's probably not critical to the application. It's possible that it's a 1/4"-20 thread $\endgroup$ – Ethan48 May 2 '19 at 14:22
  • $\begingroup$ Does the rounded cap on the left have a slot or some other kind of flat for a tool? Or, is the rounded head produced by riveting? $\endgroup$ – Nick Alexeev May 4 '19 at 21:34

There is the bolt with domed head on lhs securing the bar to the circular body. That body with flats then has a machined threaded section on the rhs.

This allows the bar to rotate or be removed separately to the other part which may secure something else.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.