Here is an image of a worm gear. What is english word for mechanical element (two of them will be necessary for a worm gear) in which the worm shaft will "lie" and rotate?

Here is one photo of the element where it is part of a housing; I need it as separate mountable element (I will mount it on plate):

unknown element in worm gear housing


2 Answers 2


Anything that holds a shaft and allows it to rotate is called a "bearing". It could be a simple metal bushing or a complete assembly with inner and outer races holding balls or rollers.

A bearing that is designed to be mounted to a surface is sometimes called a "pillow block".

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ +1 I have also heard "bearing block" occasionally. $\endgroup$
    – Mike
    Commented Apr 14, 2015 at 4:46
  • $\begingroup$ Or 'mounted bearing,' more generically. $\endgroup$
    – Ethan48
    Commented Apr 14, 2015 at 13:24

Not only does the shaft have a "bearing" surface but the ends of the shaft also need something to "bear" against due to the "thrust" of the shaft in either direction. So I would add the term "thrust bearing" to the mix some where in there ... this can be as simple as adding a single steel ball for a bearing surface to each end of the shaft to deal with the worm gear's lateral movement unless you have dealt with this in some other way.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.