I am studying gauges for measurements and I can't find the answer to what device I would use to set angles in 2 plates.


1 Answer 1


Although a photo or diagram or more detailed description would be helpful, you may find what you seek in a machinist's protractor. There are a few different designs, including a few electronic digital models.

digital protractor

I have the above model, but have yet to use it for anything requiring extreme precision. It has a tendency to flex a bit even after tightening the angle lock.

protractor 320

This model appears often in searches and is much more accurate, according to my previous reading via a machinists' email list. Much if the discussion is that the typical home hobby machinist does not require this much precision, as these devices are rather expensive, upwards of US$300.00

simple protractor

Less precise and less expensive, the above type provides perhaps one-half degree accuracy, but does qualify as a possible solution to your question.

  • $\begingroup$ What about a compound sine plate? $\endgroup$ Sep 12, 2018 at 21:58
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ A great idea with an equally great expense. It's hard to determine the application and compound sine plates have more focused use than setting angles, unless the OP states otherwise. $\endgroup$
    – fred_dot_u
    Sep 12, 2018 at 22:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.