enter image description here

I am trying to find out what type of hinge or mechanism is used in fold down car TV's. I need to buy one for a project I'm working on but dont know the name. See picture above.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Consider looking for laptop lid hinges. These should be easier to obtain (as replacement parts for laptops) and likely display the same behavior. $\endgroup$ – SF. Aug 13 '18 at 14:54
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ What is your project? Orientation, mass, number of electrical signals which must pass thru hinge, number of "hold angles" ? Please don't post how you want to solve, but what you want to solve. $\endgroup$ – Carl Witthoft Aug 13 '18 at 19:33

These are not usually simple hinges - they are often designed with cams etc to give a specific movement - so are usually specific to the item.

Think of kitchen cupboard hinges - the simple ones are easy to replace, but some have extending movements so doors can move out to clear other doors...

You may find a hinge that does the movement you require and then you will need to re-manufacture it to cope with the load you will be applying...

  • $\begingroup$ This particular one seems to be simple pin joint. Athough if it is machine actuated it probably really is a fourbar. But yeah eurohinges are typically sixbar mechanisms. $\endgroup$ – joojaa Dec 12 '18 at 21:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.