I'm looking for a name of a part. It looks like a cable inside another cable. The idea is that you can just pull on the inside cable and get the force at the other end. You can just attach the outside cable somewhere, and don't have to bother about pulleys and such.

Does this exists, and what is it called?

  • 3
    Please edit your question with a schematic or sketch. I'm having trouble visualizing this. – Wasabi Aug 8 at 12:31
  • 1
    I rolled the title back because the edit invalidates the answer by @Corey. – joojaa Aug 10 at 13:20
up vote 3 down vote accepted

It's called a Bowden cable. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowden_cable

As @Corey said, they are often used for bike brake cables, but they have many other uses as well.

  • Indeed what I was looking for, thank you! – Patrik Aug 8 at 14:47

One name is “Bowden cable”, which is the inner cable and outer sheath / cover providing a force by the movement of one relative to the other - usually the inner moves relative to the outer...

  • Indeed what I was looking for, thank you! – Patrik Aug 8 at 14:47

Sounds like your talking about bicycle cable and housing. Search for "brake cable"

There are also different types of these cables for different applications. Teflon lined inner for smoother operations, stainless for corrosion resistance, linear wound, opposed to radially, outer housings that can withstand turning/mild kinking without tightening the inner cable, etc.

  • Indeed what I was looking for, thank you! – Patrik Aug 8 at 14:47

Also known as a "Push-Pull Cable" or "(mechanical) Control Cable"

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.