"gear style component" - unknown name

You loosen a screw (knob) and then move to the angle you want and tighten.

I need to know what the engineering term for this part is.

Thank you in advance

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Bolted joint. I have lamp with a boom arm that can be adjusted with loosening a bolt at its joint. $\endgroup$ – kamran Jul 31 '18 at 5:51
  • $\begingroup$ I think he's asking specifically about the "gear style", or toothed component? $\endgroup$ – Jonathan R Swift Jul 31 '18 at 15:03

There isn't a 'universally recognised' name for this. "Toothed Clamping Element/Plate" was the most common that I could find, with multiple sellers online using this terminology.

Toothed Clamping ElementClamping Element Diagram

These are often used in conjunction with spring-loaded clamping lever/screws, which allow you to disengage the lever by pressing down on the screw head.

Clamping Lever

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ For @Sadie - the teeth, are just called “teeth” as far as I can tell... $\endgroup$ – Jonathan R Swift Sep 1 '18 at 18:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.