Image 1 - what type of nut it is? what tool I have to use to open it?

Image2 - what type of lock it is? what tool I have to use to open it?

Please see the two images. I marked a nut and locking part. what type of nut and lock mechanism it is? and what is the tool I have to use to open it?


1 Answer 1


You need to hold the shaft (in a vise with protective jaws) and turn that nut with a "C" spanner - which looks like a C with a single protruding tooth.

enter image description here

A poor method is to use a drift or punch, but this always damages the nut - perhaps fine for a temporary repair...

Edit as Fred says that is a circlip, actually in internal circlip which means that the nut above needs to be removed first then that circlip will come out.

  • $\begingroup$ Thanks. What is that other part that I marked in the second image? what the name of that nut? $\endgroup$
    – Aayvu.com
    Jul 8, 2018 at 9:16
  • $\begingroup$ Called C nuts... as for the other pic - need more detail - may just be the face edge of a clamping nut for the bearing... $\endgroup$
    – Solar Mike
    Jul 8, 2018 at 9:19
  • $\begingroup$ The second photo shows a circlip, the size of which I've never seen before, but is clearly that type of retainer. $\endgroup$
    – fred_dot_u
    Jul 8, 2018 at 10:41
  • $\begingroup$ Sometimes also called a collet wrench and collet nut, due to one of their more common uses. $\endgroup$
    – Phil Sweet
    Jul 8, 2018 at 12:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.