Convention says to measure at the bottom of the meniscus, but I think the cohesion/adhesion balance of mercury results in it "bulging out"

Do you measure at the top of the bulge (near the center) or the bottom (near the edges)?

  • $\begingroup$ Citation for "convention says to..." please? $\endgroup$ Commented Jun 22, 2018 at 17:23

1 Answer 1


You need to measure from the top of mercury column, in tubes that are wide enough to allow a flat area of mercury on top and ignore the lower level along the perimeter where mercury is repelled by glass.

This page has enough detailed instruction on calibration of barometers. Green river U link.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.